Sunday, May 2, 2010

Are You Scared Yet?

(some thoughts written from my fancy cell phone) When the angel of the Lord appears to God's servants in Bible stories, it seems to invariably scare the living crap out of them. And fair enough, I think. So, we get that most frustrating of Biblical commands; "Do not be afraid."
You're kidding, right? What's not to be afraid of? We are fragile creatures in the face of nature as it is. Now even that order is getting the snow-globe treatment and you're telling me to not be afraid?
Yep. That's what they said.
Then, like some cosmic infomercial, the angel of the Lord says, "but that's not all!"
Go find a little baby-God laying in a manger.
You're gonna give birth to a little baby-God from a mysterious, virgin womb.
Just absolutely crazy shit.
Crazy shit that turns out to be an invitation to participate in the Greatest Story Ever Told. But first, you gotta not be so scared all the time. And especially not right now.
I feel so deeply that God is calling me into the unforeseen crazy shit of the emerging Kingdom and I'm so very scared. Scared no one will understand. Scared I'm not up to the challenge. Scared I'm dreaming this all up or just woefully idealistic. Scared I'm going to miss out chasing some crazy shit.
But if the angel of the Lord is here pointing you to the Incarnate God, and he says,"do not be afraid," I guess it's time to take a deep breath and listen for the wild story they're about to tell.

1 comment: